Welcome to Terry’s Hot Take, a monthly resource for lawmakers by the Executive Director of Patients Rising, on behalf of the 10 million Americans living with chronic disease.
Terry’s Hot Takes: April 2021
- Patients Rising Now Comments on Copay Accumulators: On March 26, 2021, Patients Rising Now submitted a letter to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) and the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) to freeze “Docket CMS-9914-P, HHS Notice of Benefit and Payment Parameters for 2022”.
- In addition to a review of NBPP 2022, we asked for reinstatement of NBPP 2020 protections governing the use of copay accumulator programs to limit potential harm to patients with serious, complex conditions who rely on financial assistance to afford their medications.
- Patients Rising Now Supports Examining Use of Rebate Walls. We joined diverse patient and provider stakeholders to support Senator Klobuchar’s outreach to GAO to examine the effects of rebate walls on pharmaceutical prices and competition.
- The critical need for this review is heightened during the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic as millions of Americans face financial uncertainty and obstacles to care and treatments.
- Helping Patients Understand Colorectal Cancer: March was National Colorectal Cancer (CRC) Awareness Month. Patients Rising provided tools to break down why on-time screening is important, the impacts of delays, and how to ensure earlier diagnosis and treatment for young adults.
- The National Cancer Institute has projected 4,500 additional deaths over the next ten years from CRC as a result of pandemic-related delayed diagnoses. Unfortunately, cancer screenings in general have seen a huge backlog due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Access to Affordable Nutritious Food. How We Help Patients Understand Washington: USDA defines and tracks food access for Americans. Tens of millions of families across America are unable to access affordable nutritious food.
- We explain “food deserts” and “food insecurity” to help individuals and their families. Additionally, we share access to affordable nutritious food and food pantries. Including state and local social services.
- At Patients Rising Concierge we research programs and services to help solve patient problems, while teaching them how to navigate these challenges.
- The Last Word Series Launches to Analyze Discriminatory Health Care Metrics.
- Patients Rising Podcast examines Living with Lupus and Making Lupus Treatments Accessible. On these episodes, we take a closer look at ICER’s deliberations on the cost-effectiveness of lupus nephritis treatments and how their metrics could impact access to care. Plus, we hear about doctor and patient perspectives on lupus and dealing with insurance companies.
- Other recent weekly episodes included:
- You can listen to these episodes and subscribe to Patients Rising Podcast via your favorite podcast app- Apple Podcast, Spotify, Google Podcastand more!
- Patients Rising Podcast, is published every Friday with the purpose to update patients on issues in Washington that affect them. Each week patients are interviewed on policy challenges that come with treating their disease, along with new information on the latest health issues and legal help for patients.
Every month I will add value to your inbox by providing a patient lens to legislation and regulation. If Patients Rising can be of assistance to your office, please reach out to me directly via email@example.com or at 202-750-4331.